Were it not for the roll of the die, we could be the ones enduring suffering and despair. It is only fair that we give and give until it hurts. Our donations do make a a huge difference ..and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) takes some of the sting out of donating until it hurts ..about 43%, through tax credits.
To qualify for tax credits:
- donations must be made to qualified organizations (check before you donate)
- You must submit official donation receipts with your tax return
- your donation must not exceed 75% of your net income. But, any excess can be carried forward.
- Questions and answers about donating to registered charities
- Claiming charitable tax credits
- Charitable donation tax credit calculator
The Government will match every eligible dollar donated by individual Canadians to registered Canadian charities in response to the impact of the conflict in Syria, up to $100 million, effective immediately and until December 31, 2015.
Before you donate, you will want to check with the charity to ensure that your donation dollars will be matched.